Chapter Name: ACIDS AND BASES
Activity Name: Change of colours of other materials in ACIDS AND BASES
In this experiment, we will test various substances using natural indicators to observe changes in color. Turmeric paper, a natural indicator, will be used as the initial indicator.
We will add different substances from Table-3 onto the turmeric paper and observe whether their addition causes a change in color. Substances that show a color change in the presence of other substances are called indicators.
- Turmeric paper
- Substances from Table-3
- Natural indicators (to be prepared, details not provided in this excerpt)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take a piece of turmeric paper.
- Prepare the natural indicators mentioned in Table-2 (specifics not given here).
- Place each substance from Table-3 on the turmeric paper, one by one.
- Observe the turmeric paper after adding each substance and note whether there is a change in color.
- Observe the color change on the turmeric paper after adding each substance from Table-3.
- Note down the changed colors in Table-2 for each substance.
- Handle all substances with care, especially if they are hazardous or toxic.
- Follow safety guidelines while performing the experiment.
- Use appropriate protective equipment if required.
- Dispose of chemicals and waste properly after the experiment.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
- The experiment helps to understand the concept of indicators and how they can be used to detect the presence of certain substances.
- Different substances cause changes in the color of turmeric paper, indicating their acidic or basic nature.
- Natural indicators can be an alternative to synthetic indicators for some applications.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids