Chapter Name: Floating bodies
Activity Name: Density and Weight in Floating bodies
This experiment aims to explore the concepts of density and weight by comparing the weights of two liquids (water and oil) and two solid blocks (wood and rubber) of the same size.
- Two test-tubes of the same size
- Two equal-sized blocks, one made of wood and the other made of rubber
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take two test-tubes of the same size.
- Fill one test-tube to the brim with water and the other with oil.
- Weigh both test-tubes separately and record their weights.
- Take the two equal-sized blocks, one made of wood and the other made of rubber.
- Weigh both blocks separately and record their weights.
- Compare the weights of the test-tubes containing water and oil. Note down which one weighs more.
- Compare the weights of the two blocks made of wood and rubber. Record which block is heavier.
- Ensure that the test-tubes and blocks are of the same size to get accurate results.
- Handle the liquids with care to avoid spillage and accidents.
- Use a reliable and calibrated weighing scale for accurate measurements.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
- The liquid with the higher weight in the test-tube is denser.
- The block with the higher weight is heavier.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids