Chapter Name: Food Component
Activity Name: Food items and components in Food Component
In this activity, we will analyze a food ‘THALI’ that contains multiple food items. The objective is to list out the food items present in the THALI and identify their food components.
- THALI containing various food items
Step by Step Procedure:
- Obtain a THALI with a variety of food items, including rice, vegetables, lentils, curries, bread, desserts, etc.
- Carefully examine the THALI and identify all the different food items present.
- Once you have listed the food items, analyze each one to determine its components. Food components are the basic constituents that make up the food and provide essential nutrients to our body. Common components include carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, and water.
- Categorize each food item according to its major components. For example:
- Rice: Carbohydrates
- Lentils: Protein
- Vegetable curry: Carbohydrates, Fiber, Vitamins
- Bread: Carbohydrates, Protein
- Dessert (e.g., Kheer or Gulab Jamun): Carbohydrates, Fats
Below is a hypothetical example of the food items and their components that might be found in the THALI:
Food Items | Components
Rice | Carbohydrates Dal/Lentils | Protein Vegetable Curry | Carbohydrates, Fiber, Vitamins Naan/Chapati | Carbohydrates, Protein Kheer/Gulab Jamun | Carbohydrates, Fats
- Handle the THALI with care to avoid spills or accidents.
- If the food items in the THALI are meant for consumption, ensure they are fresh and safe to eat.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The activity helps us understand the various food items commonly found in a traditional Indian THALI and their essential components. It highlights the importance of a balanced diet that includes a variety of food components to meet the body’s nutritional requirements. Different food items contribute different nutrients, and a diverse diet is crucial for overall health and well-being.