Chapter Name: Human Eye and Colourful World
Activity Name: Sun rays on coloured wall in Human Eye and Colourful World
In this experiment, we will observe the phenomenon of colors appearing on a white wall when water is flowing through a tube and creating a fountain-like effect. We will investigate the reason behind the appearance of colors on the wall and determine the source of the sunlight that creates these colors.
- White colored wall
- Tube for water flow
- Source of sunlight (preferably outdoors on a sunny day)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Select a white colored wall that receives direct sunlight.
- Position yourself in front of the wall, with your back to the sun, so that the sun rays fall on the wall.
- Hold the tube in such a way that water is flowing through it, and use your finger to obstruct the flow slightly, creating small gaps through which the water can escape, resembling a fountain.
- Observe the wall while maintaining the flow of water through the tube.
- Colors are observed on the white wall when the water flow creates the fountain-like effect.
- The colors change and move on the wall as the water continues to flow through the tube.
- Make sure the water flow is not too strong, as it may cause damage to the wall or surroundings.
- Handle the tube carefully to avoid any spills or accidents.
- Perform the experiment in a safe and controlled environment.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The appearance of colors on the white wall is due to the phenomenon of “diffraction.” When sunlight passes through the small gaps created by the flowing water, it bends around the edges of those gaps. This bending of light causes the colors to spread out and become visible on the wall. The colors observed are a result of the interference of light waves.