Chapter Name: Separation of Substances
Activity Name: Get your own distilled water in Separation of Substances
This experiment demonstrates the process of obtaining distilled water, which is free from impurities. The method involves heating water in a conical flask to produce water vapor, which is then collected and condensed into distilled water in another conical flask.
- Conical flask (2)
- Corks with holes (2)
- Glass tubes (2)
- Plastic tube
Step by Step Procedure:
- Fill one of the conical flasks with water.
- Close the flask with a cork that has a hole in it.
- Insert a glass tube through the hole in the cork.
- Take the second conical flask and insert another glass tube through its cork.
- Connect both glass tubes with a plastic tube.
- Place the conical flask containing water on a heat-resistant surface.
- Light the burner and heat the flask containing water gently.
- As the water gets heated, it will start to evaporate and form water vapor.
- The water vapor will travel through the glass tube connected to the first conical flask and enter the second conical flask through the glass tube connected to it.
- Allow some time for the water vapor to cool down and condense in the second conical flask.
- The water collected in the second conical flask is distilled water, which is free from impurities.
- Initially, the water in the first conical flask starts to boil and produce water vapor.
- The water vapor travels through the glass tube and enters the second conical flask.
- Over time, the water vapor condenses inside the second conical flask, forming distilled water.
- Handle the burner with care and ensure that it is placed on a stable surface to prevent accidents.
- Be cautious while heating the flask to avoid any splashing of boiling water.
- Use heat-resistant gloves or tongs while handling the hot apparatus.
- Make sure the glass tubes are securely inserted into the corks to prevent any leakage.
- Ensure that the plastic tube is tightly connected to both glass tubes to maintain a continuous pathway for the water vapor.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
This experiment demonstrates the process of separating substances through distillation. It shows that by heating a liquid (water in this case) and collecting the resulting vapor, it is possible to obtain a purer form of the substance.
Distillation is an effective method for obtaining distilled water, as it allows the separation of impurities from the original liquid.