Chapter Name: Reflection of Light
Activity Name: Letters through mirror in Reflection of Light
In this experiment, we will observe the images of English letters formed in a mirror and analyze their properties.
- Drawing sheet
- Pen or marker
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take a drawing sheet and cut it into several pieces.
- Write an English letter in capitals on each piece of drawing sheet.
- Place the drawing sheet with the letter in front of a mirror, ensuring that the letter faces the mirror.
- Observe the images of the letters formed in the mirror.
- Some images of the letters will appear the same as the original letter.
- Some images of the letters will appear reversed (mirror image).
- Handle the scissors carefully to avoid accidents.
- Be cautious while using the mirror to avoid any breakage.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
- The letters that appear the same in the mirror are symmetrical with respect to their vertical axis, like ‘A,’ ‘H,’ ‘I,’ ‘M,’ ‘T,’ etc.
- The letters that appear reversed in the mirror are asymmetrical with respect to their vertical axis, like ‘B,’ ‘C,’ ‘D,’ ‘E,’ ‘F,’ etc.
- The size of the object and its image in the mirror are the same.