Chapter Name: Reflection of Light
Activity Name: Light and Image in Reflection of Light
This experiment aims to investigate how light behaves when directed towards different objects, specifically a mirror and a face.
By using a torch and a mirror, students will observe their image in the mirror under two conditions: when the light is focused on the mirror itself and when the light is focused on their face.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Hold the mirror and point the torch towards it, so the light falls on the mirror (Figure 1(a)).
- Observe your image in the mirror.
- Turn the torch towards your face (Figure 1(b)).
- Observe your image in the mirror again.
- When the light is focused on the mirror, an image of your face will be visible in the mirror.
- When the light is focused on your face, you will be able to see your image clearly in the mirror.
- Handle the torch carefully to avoid accidents or burns.
- Do not shine the torch directly into your eyes.
- Use a stable surface or support for the mirror to prevent it from falling and breaking.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment demonstrates that when light is focused on an object (the face in this case), the image of that object becomes clearer in the mirror. On the other hand, when the light is directed towards the mirror itself, the image of the object (the face) may not be as clear.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids