Chapter Name: Reflection of Light
Activity Name: Rays of Light in Reflection of Light
This experiment explores the behavior of light when it passes through a small slit or hole in a black paper-covered mirror strip. The goal is to observe how the light behaves like a ray of light when passing through the slit and falling on a sheet of paper on the ground.
- Mirror strip
- Black paper
- Sheet of paper (to be spread on the ground)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take a mirror strip and cover it with black paper.
- Cut a 1 mm wide slit in the black paper to create an opening for the light to pass through.
- Hold the mirror strip with the slit facing the sun.
- Allow the light to pass through the slit and fall on the sheet of paper spread on the ground.
- Light passes through the 1 mm wide slit in the black paper-covered mirror strip.
- The light that passes through the slit behaves like a ray of light.
- The ray of light falls on the sheet of paper placed on the ground.
- Be cautious when using sunlight to avoid direct exposure to the eyes.
- Handle the mirror strip carefully to avoid any sharp edges.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, we learn that light passing through a small slit or hole appears like a ray of light. This observation is crucial for understanding the behavior of light and its reflection in subsequent experiments and studies.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids