Chapter Name: Food Component
Activity Name: Listing out food components in Food Component
The experiment involves observing a given food packet and listing out the food components present in it. Students are then required to collect other food packets like chips, milk, juice, dal, etc., and check for the presence of various food components in those items as well.
- The given food packet (Fig.)
- Other food packets like chips, milk, juice, dal, etc.
- Table 1 (to record observations)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Observe the given food packet (Fig.) carefully.
- Identify and list out the food components present in the given food packet. The components may include carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins & minerals, and any other components if present.
- Use Table 1 to record your observations for different food items and their corresponding food components.
- Collect other food packets like chips, milk, juice, dal, etc., to conduct further observations.
- For each food item, check the presence of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins & minerals, and any other components. Put a tick mark in Table 1 if you find the listed components present in the respective food item.
Below is an example of how Table 1 might be filled out after conducting the experiment:
Table 1: Food items and components
|Food Items||Carbohydrates||Proteins||Fats||Vitamins & Minerals||Others if any|
- Handle the food packets with care to avoid damaging the contents inside.
- Ensure that the food packets are properly sealed to maintain the freshness and accuracy of the food components.
- Read the nutritional information on the food packets carefully to identify the food components correctly.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, students will learn about the different food components present in common food items. They will understand that various food items contain different combinations of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients.
This activity will also help raise awareness about reading food labels and making informed dietary choices based on the nutritional content of food items.