Chapter Name: Plants: Parts and functions
Activity Name: Transpiration in Plants: Parts and functions
The experiment aims to observe and understand the process of transpiration in plants.
By comparing the condensation of water vapor inside polythene bags, one with a leafy branch and the other without a plant, the presence of droplets will indicate the occurrence of transpiration.
- Well-watered plant with leafy branch
- Polythene bags (two of the same size)
- String or rubber bands for tying the bags
Step by Step Procedure:
- Choose a bright, summer day to perform the activity.
- Select a healthy, well-watered plant that has been growing in the sun.
- Enclose a leafy branch of the plant inside one of the polythene bags.
- Tie up the mouth of the bag securely to seal it.
- Take the second polythene bag of the same size and tie up its mouth without placing any plant material inside.
- Place both polythene bags in a sunny location.
- Leave the bags undisturbed for a few hours.
- After the designated time, carefully observe the inner surface of both bags.
- Look for the presence of droplets of water inside the bags.
- Note down your observations and compare the bags.
Upon observation, you will likely find droplets of water inside the bag that contains the leafy branch of the plant. The bag without the plant is not expected to have any droplets.
- Ensure that the plant selected for the experiment is well-watered and healthy.
- Seal the bags tightly to prevent any external air from entering.
- Place the bags in a sunny location to facilitate transpiration.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment demonstrates that excess water is released by plants through transpiration. The presence of droplets inside the bag containing the leafy branch indicates the condensation of water vapor released by the plant.
If transpiration does not take place in plants, there would be a lack of water regulation, potentially leading to water accumulation and negative impacts on the plant’s overall health and functioning.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids