Chapter Name: Gravitation
Activity Name: Balancing a ladder in Gravitation
In this experiment, we will explore the concept of the “Centre of Gravity” by attempting to balance a ladder on our shoulder. The center of gravity is the point where the total weight of an object appears to be concentrated.
- Ladder (any size)
- A flat surface
Step by Step Procedure:
- Place the ladder horizontally on a flat surface.
- Stand next to the ladder and try to lift it by placing one end on your shoulder.
- Observe whether you can balance the ladder on your shoulder or not.
- Note whether you could balance the ladder on your shoulder or not.
- Pay attention to the position of the ladder where it remains balanced on your shoulder.
- Ensure that the surface on which the ladder is placed is stable and even.
- Be cautious while attempting to balance the ladder to avoid any accidents or injuries.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, we understand that an object can be balanced on a pivot (in this case, your shoulder) when the center of gravity of the object is directly above the pivot point. The center of gravity is the point where the entire weight of the ladder seems to act.