Chapter Name: ACIDS AND BASES
Activity Name: Litmus paper test on substances in ACIDS AND BASES
In this experiment, we will test various salt substances using red litmus and blue litmus papers. The purpose is to determine whether the salts are acidic, basic, or neutral based on their effects on the litmus papers.
- Red litmus paper
- Blue litmus paper
- Copper Sulphate (CuSO4)
- Common Salt (Sodium Chloride – NaCl)
- Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Prepare a table to record observations.
|Salt Substance||Effect on Blue Litmus Paper||Effect on Red Litmus Paper|
|Copper Sulphate||Turns red||No change|
|Common Salt||No change||No change|
|Sodium Carbonate||No change||Turns blue|
- Handle the salt substances with care, avoiding direct contact with the skin or eyes.
- Use clean and dry litmus papers for accurate observations.
- Dispose of the used litmus papers and salt substances properly according to safety guidelines.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, we will observe how different salt substances interact with blue and red litmus papers. This will help us identify whether the salts are acidic, basic, or neutral based on their effects on the litmus papers.
The experiment reinforces the concept of using litmus paper as an indicator to differentiate between acidic, basic, and neutral substances.