Chapter Name: Electricity Current and it’s Effects
Activity Name: Connect series of dry cells in Electricity Current and it’s Effects
In this experiment, we will connect three dry cells in series and observe the intensity of a bulb when connected to the series arrangement. We will compare the bulb’s glow intensity with that of a single cell connection.
- Three dry cells (batteries)
- A bulb
- Connecting wires
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take three dry cells and identify their positive and negative terminals.
- Connect all the positive terminals of the three cells together using connecting wires.
- Connect all the negative terminals of the three cells together using connecting wires.
- Now, connect the series arrangement of three positive terminals to one terminal of the bulb.
- Connect the series arrangement of three negative terminals to the other terminal of the bulb.
- Make sure the connections are tight and secure.
- The circuit is now complete with the three cells connected in series with the bulb.
- Observe the intensity of the bulb’s glow.
- Note down the intensity of the bulb’s glow when connected in the series arrangement of three cells.
- Compare the intensity of the bulb’s glow with the intensity observed when the bulb is connected to only one cell.
- Make sure to connect the cells in the correct orientation, i.e., positive to negative and negative to positive.
- Check the connecting wires for any damages or loose connections before setting up the circuit.
- Avoid touching the bulb or wires while the circuit is connected to avoid electric shock.
- Do not leave the circuit connected for an extended period to prevent overheating or damaging the bulb.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment will demonstrate that when multiple cells are connected in series, the total voltage across the circuit increases. As a result, the intensity of the bulb’s glow will be higher compared to the case when the bulb is connected to only one cell. This is because the potential difference (voltage) adds up in a series connection of cells.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids