Chapter Name: Electric Current
Activity Name: Current in series in Electric Current
In this experiment, we investigate the behavior of electric currents in a series circuit using bulbs as resistors. We connect the bulbs in series and measure the potential difference across each bulb as well as the electric currents flowing through them.
Additionally, we calculate the total current drawn from the battery and compare it to the sum of individual currents drawn by the bulbs.
- Bulbs (same as used in activity 6)
- Voltmeter or multi meter
- Connecting wires
Step by Step Procedure:
- Connect the bulbs in series as shown in figure 19.
- Measure the potential difference across each bulb using a voltmeter or multi meter and record the values in your notebook.
- Measure the electric currents flowing through each bulb using ammeters and note down these values.
- Let I1, I2, and I3 be the currents flowing through R1, R2, and R3 resistors respectively.
- Measure the total current (I) drawn from the battery using ammeter 1.
- Compare the total current with the sum of individual currents drawn by the bulbs using equation (1).
- The potential difference at the ends of each bulb is the same, indicating that the bulbs are in parallel connection.
- The current drawn from the battery is equal to the sum of individual currents drawn by the bulbs, as observed from equation (1).
- Make sure the connections are secure and tight to avoid any loose connections.
- Use appropriate units and scales while measuring potential difference and current.
- Ensure the circuit is properly set up and free from any short-circuits.
- Handle the equipment with care to prevent any damage.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment demonstrates that in a series circuit, the potential difference across each component is the same, and the total current drawn from the battery is equal to the sum of individual currents flowing through each component. This highlights the behavior of resistors in series and the principles of current flow in such a circuit configuration.