Chapter Name: Motion and Time
Activity Name: Estimating time in Motion and Time
In this experiment, we will compare the arrival times of two individuals, Ravi and Sathish, as they travel to school.
Ravi uses a bicycle, while Sathish walks. We will measure the time taken by each of them and calculate the difference in their arrival times.
- Watches or clocks (analog or digital)
- Stopwatch (optional)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Ensure that Ravi and Sathish are ready to start for school at 8.00 a.m.
- Ravi should start riding his bicycle at 8.00 a.m., and Sathish should start walking at the same time.
- Record the exact starting time for both Ravi and Sathish using the watches or clocks.
- Let them proceed to school at their respective speeds.
- When Ravi reaches the school, stop the watch or clock and record the time.
- When Sathish reaches the school, stop the watch or clock and record the time.
- Calculate the time taken by both Ravi and Sathish to reach the school.
- Find the difference in time between Ravi and Sathish’s arrival at school to determine who reached first and by how much earlier.
- Ravi started on a bicycle and reached the school faster than Sathish, who walked.
- The exact time taken by each of them can be recorded using watches or clocks.
Note down your observations in below table format
- Ensure that Ravi and Sathish start their journey at the same time (8.00 a.m.) to make the comparison valid.
- Use reliable and accurate time-measuring instruments to get precise results.
- Encourage Ravi and Sathish to follow regular paths to avoid discrepancies in distances traveled.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
- By measuring the time taken by different individuals to reach a specific destination, we can compare their speeds and determine who arrived first.
- Time measuring instruments such as watches, clocks, electronic clocks, digital clocks, and quartz clocks are used to measure time accurately.
- The use of different time-measuring instruments has evolved over time, from traditional pendulum clocks to modern electronic and digital clocks.