Chapter Name: Matter Around Us
Activity Name: Identifying the shape and volume of liquids in Matter Around Us
In this experiment, we will observe the shape of water in different containers and compare it across various shapes. We will also investigate the behavior of liquids when poured into a glass and compare their levels.
- Measuring jar (cylinder)
- Containers of different shapes
- Liquids (water, oil, and milk)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Gather the required materials: measuring jar, containers of different shapes, and liquids (water, oil, and milk).
- Take one of the containers and fill it with water using the measuring jar.
- Observe and note the shape of the water in the container.
- Pour the same water into another container and observe the shape again. Repeat this process for all the containers.
- Record the shape of water in each container and compare if it is the same in all cases.
- Spill some water on the floor and observe the shape it takes.
To Compare Volume:
- Take 50ml of water using the measuring jar and pour it into a glass.
- Mark the level of water on the glass and then discard the water.
- Now, take 50ml of milk with the measuring jar and pour it into the same glass.
- Mark the level of the milk on the glass.
- Compare the levels of water and milk to see if they are the same.
To Investigate Liquid Behavior:
- Empty the glass by removing the milk.
- Pour oil into the glass up to the level marked for water.
- The shape of water in different containers will be observed and noted.
- Comparisons will be made to determine if the shape of water remains the same in all containers.
- The shape that water takes when spilled on the floor will be observed.
- The levels of water and milk in the glass will be compared to see if they are the same.
- The behavior of oil when poured into the glass will be observed.
- Be careful while handling liquids to avoid spills and accidents.
- Make sure to use containers of different shapes for accurate observations.
- Use the measuring jar to measure liquids precisely.
- Clean up any spills immediately to prevent slipping hazards.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, we will learn about the shape and behavior of liquids in different containers. We will understand whether the shape of water remains the same in various containers and explore how liquids with different volumes behave when poured into the same glass.