Chapter Name: Classification Of Elements- The Periodic Table
Activity Name: Family names of elements in Classification Of Elements- The Periodic Table
In this activity, students will observe the long form of the periodic table and identify the family names of main group elements in the s-block and p-block. They will complete a table by providing the proper information about the family names of these elements.
Periodic Table (long form)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Provide each student with a copy of the long form of the periodic table.
- Explain the concept of family names or element groups in the periodic table. Emphasize that elements in the same family share similar chemical properties.
- Direct the students’ attention to the s-block and p-block elements on the periodic table.
- Instruct the students to identify the family names of the main group elements in these blocks (e.g., alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, halogens, noble gases, etc.).
- Ask the students to complete the table provided to them, where they will list the family names of the elements along with their corresponding group numbers.
- The students’ completed tables, indicating the family names of s-block and p-block elements, along with the respective group numbers.
Note down your observations in table format:
- Ensure that the students are using a reliable and up-to-date version of the long form of the periodic table.
- Advise students to cross-check their answers and seek clarification if they are unsure about any element’s family name.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Students will learn about the organization of elements in the periodic table, specifically focusing on the family names or element groups. They will understand that elements within the same family share similar chemical properties and that the periodic table is a useful tool for categorizing and understanding the behavior of elements.