Chapter Name: Classification Of Elements- The Periodic Table
Activity Name: Valency in Classification Of Elements- The Periodic Table
In this activity, students will determine the valencies of the first 20 elements in the periodic table. They will also observe how the valency varies across a period from left to right and how it changes while going down a group.
Periodic table (printout or access to an online resource)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Introduce the concept of valency to the students and explain its significance in chemical bonding.
- Provide the students with the periodic table.
- Instruct them to identify the atomic number and electronic configuration of the first 20 elements (Hydrogen to Calcium).
- Using the electronic configuration, guide the students to determine the valency of each element based on its group number (number of valence electrons).
- Record the valencies of all 20 elements in a table or chart.
- Discuss and analyze how the valency changes in a period as they move from left to right.
- Also, discuss how the valency varies while going down a group.
- The students will determine the valencies of the first 20 elements and record them in a table or chart. They will observe patterns and trends in the valencies across the period and down the group.
- Ensure students handle the periodic table with care.
- Double-check the electronic configurations and valencies to avoid errors.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this activity, students will understand the concept of valency and its significance in chemical reactions. They will observe that the valency varies in a period as they move from left to right and remains constant in a group as they move down.