Chapter Name: Respiration In Organisms
Activity Name: How many Breaths in a Minute? in Respiration In Organisms
In this activity, you will use a simple method to determine how many times your friend inhales and exhales in a minute by feeling the air flow on your finger when they breathe out.
- A friend to participate in the experiment
Step by Step Procedure:
- Hold your finger under your friend’s nose with the side of the fingernail facing their nostrils.
- Ask your friend to breathe in and out normally.
- Observe and feel the air flow on your finger when your friend exhales.
- You will feel the air flow on your finger when your friend exhales.
- Make sure your friend breathes normally during the experiment.
- Be gentle while placing your finger near their nostrils to avoid discomfort.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Respiration is the process of inhaling and exhaling air, allowing organisms to exchange gases with the environment. By feeling the air flow on your finger during exhalation, you can estimate the breathing rate (respiratory rate) of your friend in breaths per minute.