Chapter Name: Matter Around Us
Activity Name: Do the gases have a definite shape and a fixed volume ? in Matter Around Us
This activity involves observing the properties of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) to determine if gases have a definite shape and fixed volume.
- Access to a petrol pump, CNG-run vehicle, and observation skills.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Visit a petrol pump and inquire about the storage location of CNG.
- Observe the storage system of CNG in a CNG-run vehicle.
- Note the process of transferring CNG from the pump to vehicles.
- CNG is stored in high-pressure cylinders at the petrol pump.
- CNG-run vehicles have special tanks to store the compressed gas.
- CNG is transferred from the pump to vehicles through appropriate mechanisms.
- Follow all safety guidelines and regulations at the petrol pump.
- Stay at a safe distance from any hazardous equipment or procedures.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Based on the observations from the activity and our daily life experiences, it can be concluded that CNG and all other gases do not have a fixed shape or volume. They take the shape of their container and can expand or contract to fill the available space accordingly.