Chapter Name: Fibre to Fabric
Activity Name: Mat making in Fibre to Fabric
The experiment involves making a mat using strips of a leaf and weaving a paper sheet using paper strips. The purpose is to understand the process of mat making and learn about weaving techniques.
- Leaves with strong, flexible veins
- Paper strips
- Glue or adhesive (optional)
Step by Step Procedure:
- Cut a leaf into two halves along its length, and remove the middle vein from each half.
- Place the two leaf strips parallel to each other, ensuring they are of equal length.
- Take another strip of the leaf and insert it horizontally between the vertical leaf strips, starting from one end.
- Take another leaf strip and insert it horizontally above the first inserted strip but below the next vertical strip.
- Continue this pattern, alternating between vertical and horizontal strips until the desired size of the mat is achieved.
- Press the strips gently to secure them in place. You may use glue or adhesive if needed.
- Once the weaving is complete, allow the mat to dry if glue was used.
For Weaving a Paper Sheet:
- Cut paper into long, thin strips of equal width.
- Take two paper strips and place them parallel to each other, similar to the first step in the leaf mat making.
- Weave additional paper strips horizontally between the vertical paper strips, following the same alternating pattern as before.
- Continue weaving until the desired size of the paper sheet is achieved.
- Press the strips gently to hold them in place.
- Optionally, you can apply glue or adhesive to secure the paper strips together.
- Allow the paper sheet to dry, if glue was used.
- The leaf strips are flexible and can be easily woven together to create a mat.
- The paper strips can also be woven together to form a sheet, but they may require additional adhesion to hold them in place.
- Handle scissors carefully to avoid injury.
- If using glue or adhesive, follow the instructions provided and avoid getting it on your hands or clothes.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment demonstrates the basic principles of weaving and the process of creating mats and paper sheets. It helps to understand the importance of flexibility and strength in the materials used for weaving.
Weaving is a common technique used in the production of fabrics and other woven products.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids