Chapter Name: Seed Dispersal
Activity Name: Observe different seeds in Seed Dispersal
In this experiment, we will collect various types of seeds from different plants and observe their characteristics. The goal is to record information about the seeds’ size, weight, shape, and any special features they may have, such as hair, thorns, or hooks.
We will also determine which seeds can be carried by air, which are round and heavy, which can float on water, and the characteristics of fibrous seeds. Additionally, we will identify Tadi seeds and describe their unique characteristics.
- Grass seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Bhendi (Okra) seeds
- Coconut seeds
- Seeds from other plants, preferably with different characteristics (hair, thorns, big, small, light, heavy, etc.)
- Table for recording observations
Step by Step Procedure:
- Collect a variety of seeds from different plants and place them in separate containers.
- Prepare a table with the following column headings: Seed Type, Size, Weight, Shape, Special Features (hair, thorns, hooks, etc.), Air Dispersal (yes/no), Float on Water (yes/no), Characteristics of Fibrous Seeds, Tadi Seeds (yes/no), Tadi Seed Characteristics.
- Start observing each seed and record their characteristics in the table accordingly.
- Determine which seeds can be carried by air by considering their shape, size, and any adaptations they have for wind dispersal.
- Identify the seeds that are round and heavy based on their weight and shape.
- Test the seeds in water to see which ones can float.
- Examine the seeds for hooks or horns and speculate on their purpose for having such features.
- Note whether hairy seeds are light and flat and explain the reason behind their characteristics.
- Analyze the fibrous seeds to determine if they are light or heavy and record their specific characteristics.
- Check if any of the seeds in the list are Tadi seeds and describe their unique characteristics.
Record the observations in the table as you go through each seed, detailing their size, weight, shape, and any special features. Note which seeds can be carried by air, which are round and heavy, which can float on water, and the characteristics of fibrous seeds. Also, identify any Tadi seeds and describe their specific characteristics.
Note down your observations in below table format
- Handle the seeds with care and avoid damaging them during the observation process.
- Use a secure container to test the seeds for water floatation to prevent any unwanted spills.
- If any of the seeds are sharp or have thorns, handle them cautiously to avoid injury.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, we will learn about the diverse mechanisms plants employ to disperse their seeds effectively. It will help us understand which seeds are adapted for wind dispersal, water dispersal, or attachment to animals for transportation.
Additionally, we will gain insights into the various characteristics of seeds, such as size, weight, shape, and any special adaptations they possess, which aid in their dispersal.