Chapter Name: Motion
Activity Name: Observing the motion of a ball on a inclined plane in Motion
In this experiment, we set up an inclined plane and release a ball from the top to observe its motion. We also push the ball from the bottom of the inclined plane to see its motion in another scenario.
The positions of the ball at various times are recorded during both experiments.
- Inclined plane setup
Step by Step Procedure:
- Set up the inclined plane as shown in Figure 14.
- Take a ball and release it from the top of the inclined plane.
- Observe and record the positions of the ball at various time intervals.
- Repeat the experiment by pushing the ball from the bottom of the inclined plane (Figure 15).
- Again, observe and record the positions of the ball at various time intervals.
- When the ball moves down the inclined plane (released from the top), its speed gradually increases.
- The direction of motion of the ball remains constant on the inclined plane.
- When the ball moves up the inclined plane (pushed from the bottom), its speed changes.
- In both scenarios, the direction of motion of the ball remains constant.
- Ensure the inclined plane is set up securely to prevent accidents.
- Take care while releasing or pushing the ball to avoid any unintended interactions.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
Through this experiment, we learn that when a ball moves down an inclined plane, its speed gradually increases, and the direction of motion remains unchanged. Conversely, when the ball moves up the inclined plane, its speed changes while the direction of motion remains constant.