Chapter Name: Laws Of Motion
Activity Name: Observing the motion of the coins hit by a striker in Laws Of Motion
In this experiment, we observe the motion of a stack of carom coins on a carom board when a sharp hit is applied to the bottom of the stack using a striker. The bottom coin will be removed from the stack, and the remaining coins will slide down.
- Carom board
- Carom coins
Step by Step Procedure:
- Place the carom board on a flat surface.
- Create a stack of carom coins on the carom board.
- Take the striker and give a sharp hit at the bottom of the stack.
- The bottom coin from the stack is removed due to the impact of the striker.
- The remaining coins in the stack slide down, closer to the impact point.
- Ensure that the carom board is placed on a stable and flat surface to avoid any disturbances during the experiment.
- Be cautious while using the striker to avoid any injuries.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
This experiment demonstrates the principle of the conservation of momentum. When the striker hits the bottom coin in the stack, the momentum is transferred to that coin, causing it to move away from the stack. The other coins in the stack gain momentum due to the downward sliding motion.