Chapter Name: Respiration In Organisms
Activity Name: Respiration in Sprouted seeds in Respiration In Organisms
In this experiment, we investigate the process of respiration in sprouted seeds (such as moong and gram) by observing the effect it has on lime water.
- Sprouted seeds (moong, gram, etc.)
- Lime water
- Glass containers or test tubes
- Rubber stoppers or corks
- Clear plastic wrap or balloons
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take a few sprouted seeds and place them in a glass container or test tube.
- Fill another container with lime water.
- Invert the container filled with lime water over the test tube containing the sprouted seeds, ensuring that no air bubbles escape.
- Seal the connection between the two containers with a rubber stopper or cork.
- Cover the setup with clear plastic wrap or tie a balloon around the opening of the test tube to prevent air exchange from the external environment.
- Leave the setup undisturbed for a few hours.
- After a few hours, observe the changes in the lime water. If respiration occurs, the lime water will turn milky or cloudy due to the release of carbon dioxide.
- Ensure that the containers are airtight to prevent any air leakage from affecting the experiment.
- Use fresh lime water for accurate observations.
- Use healthy and actively sprouting seeds for the experiment.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment demonstrates that sprouted seeds undergo respiration, as indicated by the change in lime water to a milky appearance due to the release of carbon dioxide.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids