Chapter Name: Heat
Activity Name: Impact of heat on glass in Heat
In this experiment, we will investigate the effects of extreme temperature changes on a glass bottle filled with water. The bottle will be subjected to freezing temperatures in a deep freezer, and its response to this temperature change will be observed.
- Small glass bottle with a tight lid
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take a small glass bottle with a tight lid and ensure there are no cracks or defects in the glass.
- Fill the bottle completely with water, ensuring there are no air gaps.
- Fix the lid tightly on the bottle to prevent any water from leaking out during the experiment.
- Place the filled bottle into the deep freezer of a refrigerator.
- Allow the bottle to stay in the freezer for a few hours, ensuring it reaches a significantly low temperature.
- After the specified time, carefully take the bottle out of the freezer.
Upon removing the glass bottle from the freezer, you will observe that it has broken.
- Use a small glass bottle to minimize potential hazards.
- Ensure that the lid is tightly sealed to prevent water leakage.
- Handle the glass bottle with care to avoid any accidental breakage.
- Use protective gloves when handling the bottle after it has been in the freezer to avoid frostbite.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The glass bottle breaks due to the impact of extreme temperature changes. Glass is a brittle material, and when it is subjected to rapid temperature variations, it expands or contracts unevenly.
The water inside the bottle freezes and expands, exerting pressure on the walls of the glass. This pressure becomes too much for the glass to handle, causing it to fracture and break.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids