Chapter Name: Living with Non-Living
Activity Name: Living things – Non living things in Living with Non-Living
The experiment aims to distinguish between living things and non-living things by identifying their characteristics. Participants will list various examples of living things and provide reasons for considering them as living. The activity also explores the distinguishing features between living and non-living objects.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Begin by discussing the concept of living and non-living things with the participants.
- Ask the participants to individually or in groups list as many living things as they can think of. Encourage them to provide reasons for considering each item as living.
- After a given time, ask the participants to share their lists and reasons with the group.
- Engage in a discussion about the characteristics mentioned by the participants and compile a collective list on a board or chart paper.
- Use the compiled list to identify common characteristics that differentiate living things from non-living things.
- Discuss examples of non-living things and their distinguishing features from living things.
- Address the questions posed in the activity description: Why can’t chairs and tables move even though they have four legs like buffalos? How do we differentiate between living and non-living things?
- Facilitate a group discussion to explore the topic further and encourage participants to ask questions and share their observations.
The observations will vary based on the participants’ lists and reasons for considering certain things as living. The experiment aims to encourage critical thinking and discussion rather than providing specific observations.
No specific precautions are required for this activity as it involves a discussion and listing of living and non-living things.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment helps participants understand the characteristics that differentiate living things from non-living things.
It promotes critical thinking and observation skills while highlighting the importance of movement, reproduction, and other key features of living organisms. Participants will learn to distinguish between living and non-living objects based on their characteristics.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids