Chapter Name: Work And Energy
Activity Name: Observing the energy in stretched rubber band in Work And Energy
In this experiment, we will observe the energy transformation in a stretched rubber band. By pulling the rubber band from one end and then releasing it, we can observe the changes in its behavior and understand the concept of potential and kinetic energy.
- Rubber band
Step by Step Procedure:
- Take a rubber band and hold one end of it firmly in your hand.
- With the other hand, stretch the rubber band by pulling it in the opposite direction from the held end.
- Observe how the rubber band stores potential energy as it is stretched.
- As you stretch the rubber band, you will notice that it requires force to elongate it, indicating the potential energy being stored in the rubber band.
- When you release the rubber band, it will rapidly return to its original shape, and you will observe its kinetic energy as it moves back.
- You may notice that the rubber band oscillates for a while before coming to rest. This is due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy and vice versa during the oscillation.
- Be careful while stretching the rubber band to avoid snapping it against yourself or others.
- Do not stretch the rubber band too much, as it may exceed its elastic limit and lose its elasticity.
- Perform the experiment in a safe environment, away from fragile objects or anything that could be damaged.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
This experiment demonstrates the concept of energy transformation between potential energy and kinetic energy in a stretched rubber band. When the rubber band is stretched, it stores potential energy, and when released, it converts that potential energy into kinetic energy as it moves back to its original shape.
The oscillations observed after release also show the continuous exchange of energy between potential and kinetic forms until the rubber band comes to rest.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids