Chapter Name: Acids, Bases and Salts
Activity Name: Strong and Weak bases in Acids, Bases and Salts
Testing the pH values of solutions using pH paper and Universal Indicator to identify the nature and strength of bases.
- pH paper, solutions (not specified), Universal Indicator solution
Step by Step Procedure:
- Obtain the solutions listed in Table-2.
- Test the pH of each solution using pH paper and record the observations in column three of Table-2.
- Use Universal Indicator solution to determine approximate pH values and note them in column four of Table-2.
- Analyze the results to identify the nature (strong or weak) of each base based on pH values.
- Observations of pH values for the given solutions are recorded in Table-2.
Note down your observations in table format:
- Handle the solutions carefully, use pH paper properly, and follow safety guidelines.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
The experiment demonstrates how to determine the strength and nature of bases based on their pH values, and it relates the concept to the concentration of hydrogen ions in acids, helping students understand the difference between strong and weak bases.