Chapter Name: Movements in Animals
Activity Name: Fold and un-fold in Movements in Animals
The experiment involves observing the movement of muscles while folding and unfolding fingers in different hand positions.
Step by Step Procedure:
- Position your hand with the palm facing downwards, as shown in Fig. 2(b).
- Fold and unfold each finger of the hand, one by one.
- While performing the finger movements, observe the back of your palm between the fingers and the wrist.
- Take note of the muscles that are visibly moving during each finger’s opening and closing.
- Now, hold your hand with the palm facing upwards, as shown in Fig. 2(a).
- Repeat the process of folding and unfolding each finger, one by one.
- This time, observe the moving muscles between the wrist and elbow.
- Identify the different muscles involved in the finger movements.
- As an additional step, try to open and fold your fingers without moving the muscles identified in step 8.
- Note your observations and determine if it is possible to perform the finger movements without engaging those muscles.
- When folding and unfolding the fingers with the palm facing downwards, you will notice specific muscles moving between the fingers and the wrist.
- When folding and unfolding the fingers with the palm facing upwards, you will observe different muscles moving between the wrist and elbow.
- It may be challenging to open and fold your fingers without engaging the identified muscles. Most likely, it will not be possible to perform the movements without involving these muscles.
- Be gentle while folding and unfolding your fingers to avoid any strain or injury.
- Observe your hand carefully to avoid mistakenly identifying other non-moving structures as muscles.
Lesson Learnt from Experiment:
- The experiment helps in understanding that finger movements involve the coordinated action of various muscles.
- Different hand positions require the engagement of different muscles for finger movements.
- Attempting to open and fold fingers without involving the necessary muscles is likely to be difficult or impossible.
- This experiment highlights the complexity and precision of muscle movements in our bodies during simple actions like folding and unfolding fingers.
Science Experiment Kits for Kids